On Thursday last week I went to an event at my university called Philip Pullman in discussion. Basically Pullman discussed his new book Le Belle Sauvage: The Book of Dust Volume One for a while and then he signed books.
AHHHHH HE SIGNED BOOKS!!
I stupidly left my copy of his new book at home so I purchased a different copy of Northern Lights.
Have you read any of Philip Pullman’s books? Have you read his latest one?
I need some help. I need you to leave me some book recommendations in the comments below!! Myself and my university friends are planing on starting a book club and I need some great book titles to suggest.
What have you read recently?
Also don’t forget to go and check out my Instagram or ‘bookstagram’ over at book_captivation.
- Adult Children: The Secrets of Dysfunctional Families by John C. Friel
- Twentieth- Century Suspense: The Thriller Comes of Age by Clive Bloom
- Thriller: Genesis and Structure of a Popular Genre by Jerry Palmer
- Unclaimed Experience: Trauma, Narrative and History by Cathy Caruth
- The Cambridge Companion to Crime Fiction by Martin Priestman
- Crime Fiction from Poe to the Present by Martin Priestman
- Trauma and Survival in Contemporary Fiction by Laurie Vickroy
- Too Scared to Cry: Psychic Trauma in Childhood by Lenore Tear
- Child of God by Cormac McCarthy
- Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison
- The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman Alexie
- No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy
- Close Range by Annie Proulx
Books I read for fun-
- Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick
- The Girl Before by J.P.Delaney
- Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng
- The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett
- Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed
- The Road by Cormac McCarthy
- Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
- Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan
- My Favourite Manson Girl by Alison Umminger
- Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella
- The Book of You by Claire Kendal
- I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
- Strictly Between Us by Jane Fallon
- Twist Me by Anna Zaires
- The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
- This is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp
- Our Chemical Hearts by Krystal Sutherland
- Ordeal by Linda Lovelace
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
- The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
So, that is 34 books so far this year…not great but it was a challenging academic year.
Hey everyone, I have recently been absent because I went to Reading Festival and I have been organising my life ready to move to Oxford in September.
So, for the last three years (2014 – 2017) I have been doing my undergrad degree in English Literature in Bristol. (Only 40-50 minutes down the road from my hometown Swindon) Upon reflection, those three years were incredible. Of course at times I got caught up in the anxiety, stress and depression but I have gone out on the other side smiling…and you know what-for the first time-EVER- I feel proud. Proud of myself for gaining a high 2:1 in my degree and I am super proud of all the blood,sweat and tears I put into it.
I F**KING DID IT. YAAAASSS.
As mentioned above, university was incredible. I absolutely love learning and I am always hungry and eager for new information. Not only did I get to read some fantastic books along my journey but I also met the most amazing people. I LOVE THEM AND TRULY APPRECIATE THEM. True friends for life. As cliche as it sounds, it is true…when you work so intensely with someone or live with someone you skip early stages of friendship and BAM you’re besties for life. Oh sometimes this can go wrong an people clash but that didn’t really happen to me, I am still friends now with two of the people I met on the first day and still really close to those who I lived with in years two and three.
Do you live in Oxford? Where would you recommend going, eating, drinking, exploring. Tell me, tell me, tell me. I have only ever been to Oxford for theatre trips so I don’t know a lot.
Also, how fricking cool is it that I am going to be starting my Publishing Masters?? Like me? Oh yaasss, learning all about the wonderful world of publishing…watch out future publishing houses…I am coming for you. (*fingers crossed* hopefully) They can just pile my desk up with books to edit and market and I won’t even complain, “BRING MORE” I’ll shout. Remember when I did my publishing work experience last year and LOVED IT, that would be my life!!!
Any of my lovely followers completed an MA/ MASTERS? If so, how did you cope money wise? Actually anyone with money advice help me out because I am struggling to comprehend how I am going to survive the next year.
How did you feel about this informal little chat up we just had? We became best friends right? But – seriously – I love interacting with you and would love to actually get to know you more, so drop a comment below…please.
Thank you so much to Brooke go check out her A-MAZ-ING blog.
- Thank the blogger who has nominated you for this award.
- Answer the 11 questions that the blogger asked you.
- Nominate 11 new blogs and write 11 new questions for them.
- List the rules and display the logo of sunshine blog award in your post.
- Did you have a dream last night? What happened? Ummm…did I dream last night? ahhh yes, yes I did…I dreamt that I was Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice. This is probably because I was reading it before bed…can’t blame a girl for dreaming about Mr.Darcy.
- Elephants or giraffes? Elephants…or both. I love both.
- Going to the cinema or having a movie night in? Brooke…why have you asked the hardest questions. I spent ages deciding on elephants or giraffes…now this. I honestly like both. Sometimes I love staying in but if it’s a film i’ve been anticipating I have to see it asap.
- Indian or Chinese food? Indian all the way.
- In the film Cars, do they have car insurance or life insurance? What an interesting and thought provoking question…ummm probably life insurance. But, maybe their care insurance is just called life insurance.
- Sweet or savoury? Savoury.
- Never be able to wash your clothes again or never be able to wash your bedding again? You can’t change or buy new ones either. I know it would be gross to never wash your bedding but I guess your skin has direct contact with your clothes daily so i’d have to pick them. Although never washing bedding makes me feel sick and gives me the hebejebes.
- What are the first 5 things you do when you wake up? Check my phone, wash my teeth, wash my face, think about what I am going to wear and eat breakfast (not always)
- What are the first 5 things you do before you fall asleep? check my phone (am I addicted to my phone?) , think about what I am going to wear the next day, think about what I have to do, read and have a cup of peppermint tea.
- Do you go to the gym? How often? Honestly, and this is AWFUL…but I cannot remember the last time I went to the gym. I prefer to do exercise at home or outside. I am too poor for the gym right now.
- If you could create a law, what would it be? Another thought provoking question. Ummm I would try and do something with the stigma around mental health.
- If you received enough money to never need to work again, what would you spend your time doing?
- How would you describe yourself in 5 words?
- If your entire life was a movie, what title would best fit?
- Do you ask enough questions, or are you happily settling for what you know already?
- What is the last thing that you’ve done that’s really worth remembering?
- If you could only read one book for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- fictional or non fiction books?
- What inspires you?
- Whats your favourite book series?
- If you could spend 15 minutes with anyone, living or dead, who would it be? Why?
My nominees –
- Emma @ The Terror of Knowing
- When Curiosity Killed the Cat
- Han @ Amethyst Rose Beauty
- Drew @ The Tattooed Book Geek
- Christine @ The Story Slave
- Ashley @The Infinite Library
- Katie @Never Not Reading
- A Wee Blog
- The Orangutan Librarian
- ALL MY OTHER FOLLOWERS
Cannot wait to see your answers, don’t forget to tag me.