Look at them…..
I AM SERIOUSLY FANGIRLING RIGHT NOW…..AHHHHHHHH SBDNDJBDJDJDJDHDND
1. An overhyped classic you really didn’t like? I am going to have to say Gulliver’s Travels by Johnathan Swift, I had to read it last year and I just could not read it. I TRIED, I really tried.
2. Favourite time period to read about? Now this is hard, can I not just say all of them? The Victorian period is definitely one of my all time favourites to read about. Charles Dickens, ahh Charles…your work has truly influenced me so much. Then, there is the 1920, oh the wonderful jazz age, excess and The American Dream. Fitzgerald, I could read his writing over and over again, give my The Great Gatsby any day and I will devour it. I just love the radical representation of women.
3. Favourite fairy-tale- I adore looking at fairy-tales, especially on my degree because all the hidden sexuality really fascinates me. Enough that I am probably going to do my dissertation on the sexuality within children’s literature. I would have to say my ultimate favourite is either Peter Pan or Little Red Riding Hood.
4. What is the classic you’re most embarrassed about having not read- Animal Farm by George Orwell, how am I 20 and not read it yet. As an English Literature student I am disgusted in myself.
5. Top 5 classics you would like to read 1. Animal Farm by George Orwell. 2. East of Eden by John Steinbeck. 3. A tale of two cities by Charles Dickens. 4. Anne Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. 5. Far from the Maddling Crowd by Thomas Hardy.
6. Favourite modern book/series based on a classic – Bridget Jones’s Diary by Helen Fielding which is based on Pride and Prejudice. As a child, I always watched classics like Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre with my nan, so they have really influenced my reading preferences.
Bridget Jones’s Diary, Helen Fielding (Pride and Prejudice)
7. Favourite movie version/tv-series based on a classic – Pretty much any BBC adaptation of a classic, for example the BBC adaptation of North and South. That is the first one that comes to mind, due to the fact I recently studied the novel for my degree. I love me some Gaskell.
8. Worst classic to movie adaptation I really cannot think of one right now, tell me yours and we can discuss it.
9. Favourite edition(s) you’d like to collect more classics from 1.The Penguin Classics are always lovely to look and I have many on my bookshelf. 2. Barnes and Noble Leather bound Classics collection. Forget diamonds, I want all of them. Love me? Buy me a classics book all the way.
10. An underhyped classic you’d recommend to everyone- I don’t know if it is an under-hyped classic but every time I go on a fan-girl rant about it , no one knows what I am going on about. Do I need to get new friends? But…100% EVERYONE needs to read On The Road By Jack Kerouac. OH, the writing is beautiful.
I am nearly half way through my Goodread reading challenge of 100 books for this year. Some of the books I’ve read are not on my yearly reading list, (I know it’s naughty but I cannot help myself 😜)
So far I have read –
I didn’t realise that I was reading so many again, I just sometimes cannot resist picking up a beloved book of mine.
If you follow me on Goodreads you will know this already and if you don’t and would like to go and follow me on –
I want to read more and post more but my second year at University is getting on top of me- I promise I will after my exams in May!!!
Comment below if you have read any of them and your thoughts and even better-recommend books to me ☺️
What Would Life be Like if You Knew You Were an Immortal Spiritual Being?
“It is my viewpoint that each man has his own unique magnificence regardless of race, religion, nation, tribe, station in life, customs and beliefs…,” so writes poet, Louis Alan Swartz.
Constructed of Magic and Other Poems on the Immortality of the Human Spirit is a refreshing collection of poems that explore the beauty of who we are as spiritual beings. Our ability to love, dream, create futures, even die with dignity are all part of who we are and why we are here. These poems don’t pretend to give final answers to any of the big questions about life, but they do help us to look and come to our own understanding.
“This book is a testament to the poet’s vision-an understanding and appreciation for the spiritual and aesthetic nature of mankind….There is a peaceful calmness that cascades over me when I read the joy that Louis Swartz communicates in these poems. I invite you to share that experience with me.” Bernard Percy Educator, Speaker, Author.
We invite you to discover the magic in these poems that are infused throughout with a terrific appreciation of humankind. As Swartz concludes in his introduction, “If by reading them, one individual is able to get an inkling of the actual length and breadth of his ability to do good, my purpose in writing them will be achieved.”
Due to the fact I am an English Literature student I am no stranger to poetry and this certain collection of poems did not disappoint. Many of them were interesting, compelling and left me pondering perplexing thoughts and some definitely pulled on my heartstrings.
This collection of poetry was split into eleven different topics…
This made the poems really easy to read and digest. The book was also scattered with drawings throughout, which I absolutely loved! It added extra meaning to the poems and forced my imagination to explore the beauty of the words. At some points while reading the poetry I truly lost myself, fully immersed in the eloquence of the words.
I would recommend reading these poems because they are full of exquisite imagery and magnify the the importance life.
Louis Alan Swartz has dedicated his life to helping others find their ability as immortal spiritual beings. He has traveled extensively in Africa, India, Europe, and the Middle East. He lives in Los Angeles with Connie, his wife of twenty-eight years.
Amazon link is here
Goodreads link is here
I have been nominated for three Liebster awards so I thought I would just do them all together… I am just going to stick to 11 of each, except the questions.
THANK YOU SO MUCH TO THESE THREE LOVELY BLOGS!
11 FACTS ABOUT ME…
2. I want to have a library in my house when I grew up.
4. I really miss working at the cinema, (I had to leave when I went to University).
5. I do not know where I get passion for reading from, everyone in my family seems to think I am the shy, awkward and nerdy one that just likes to read.
6. I am in love with the Saccone Joly’s on Youtube, if you don’t know them please go check them out because they are so cute and funny. They upload daily vlogs so I feel like I know them haha. I just love youtubers to be fair.
7. I love watching tv series, it allows me time to become emotionally invested in the characters. Warning do not become invested in Grey’s Anatomy characters because they do not last long…
8. My favourite colour is blue…woo to blue
9. I feel like I am a really boring person because I cannot seem to think of 11 facts about me.
10. I live in Bristol (for University), My mum, step dad and sister live in Swindon. While my dad lives in Denmark with my step mum and both of my Nan’s live in London. Although it is difficult to not have your family right there, it makes me appreciate them more.
11. I really like history and when I was younger I wanted to become a history teacher, but then I discovered the beauty of English.
THE QUESTIONS I HAVE BEEN ASKED…
The Book Dectective…
1.What would your patronus be? I love this question, I think I would be a Doe.
2. Who is your favourite Greek God? Apollo, god of the sun, truth, music and poetry.
3.If you could write a story like Harry Potter, what would you name your main character? eg. Isla Inkwell and the Astronomer’s Stone. I really like name Aria…so maybe Aria and the cave of happiness
4. What is your favourite genre to read? Oh this is hard to answer, I like fantasy books I guess.
5.Which would you rather be: Shadowhunter, Wizard at Hogwarts, Gallagher Girl, Alien from Lorien, Divergent in Dauntless, Tribute of the Hunger Games, Agent of Spectrum, Consulting Detective, Doctor’s Companion, or a Targaryen? Can I be all of them? I want to be a Divergent in dauntless, taking refuge in Hogwarts before going off to become a tribute in the Hunger Games.
6.What book got you hooked on reading? Ummm The Virgin’s Lover by Philippa Gregory, it was the first book I properly read.
7.What inspired your blog name? I am going to talk about Captivated~By ~Fantasy, I choose this because it is my tumblr name but it also what happens with me because when I read, I allow myself to be captivated.
8. What element would you like to manipulate/bend; water, fire, earth, air, metal, or spirit? water
9. What is your favourite read of this year? Probably Fight Club because it was incredible.
10. Who is your favourite character of all time? Bella from Twilight
Books ‘n’ Feathers blog asked me…
1.Would you ever set a book on fire just because it has upset/pissed you off? noo never!
2.How many hours do you spend inside a bookstore? Way too many, I could live in there.
3.What book reminds you of a phase in your life which you don’t want to ever be reminded of? Twilight eclipse because it reminds me of the time I went to LA to interview the Twilight Cast, wooo 14 year old Shan.
4.If there is just one last copy of your favourite book remaining in the world and your best friend’s kidnapper is after it, would you give up your fav book to save your best friend or not? I would definitely sacrifice my favourite book for my friend 😀 proving how much of a good friend I am.
5.Do you keep a diary? yes
6.What do you enjoy the most about writing? just being able to express myself because I am not that great at talking about my feelings.
7.Do you talk to random strangers about a book which you see them holding? I have to admit I do try and talk to people, if they are holding a book I love and they look approachable. I love seeing people reading.
8.Do you think people should slow down on tweeting about books every minute of the day when they can actually spend that time reading? I have never thought about it, but sometimes when I get really excited I just need to write about it rather than read more.
9.Which place would you love to visit in winter? New York
10.Are you a coffee/tea drinker? both!!! I love hot drinks so much.
11.Would you stop using that lipstick you apply everyday if you know that whales are being killed everyday because of you? yes
Book Nerd blog asked me…
1.Where do you want to go that you read about in a book? HOGWARTS!!!
2. What is your favorite genre? I like to read anything and everything.
3.Have you always liked to read, or is it something you just started to like randomly one day… I went on holiday once and went to the resorts book section (where people left their books) and picked up a book to read by the pool and I liked the way I could escape within it so from that moment I continued to read.
4.What is your favorite book that got turned into a movie? The Fault in Our Stars
5.What is your favorite snack to eat while reading? crisps
6.What was the worst book you’ve ever read? Umm this is really hard, I cannot think of anything right now.
7.Do you use the same bookmark every time you read a book, or do you just grab the closest thing and use it has a marker? I grab the closest thing I can
8. Is there a certain book or series that you have read over and over and over again? Harry Potter, Divergent and Twilight
9. What’s the longest book you’ve ever read? I don’t know
10. Favorite subject in school? English
11.If you could be best friends with any fictional character, who would it be? I think I would get along really well with Hermione.
I know I am meant to nominate 11 but I see that quick a few of the people I wanted to nominate have already had this award a few times and I did not want to annoy them or the people nominated me.
I got lose myself within Waterstones, I went in there today and just wanted to run around like a crazy lady and grab all the books I wanted to buy. If I won the lottery, one of the first things I would do would be go to Waterstones and buy all the books me heart desires.
Reason why I love books so much…
Today my best friend and I were walking around waterstones for ages like…
Could you live in waterstones? You would just have to take food and a blanket but come on, you have alllll the books there.
Basically I am a sucker for a nice looking book especially when they are classics!
I was told there were 52 in this exact design however I am not certain, so if you know any more please let me know. (The ones in bold are the ones I own)