Recently I have been reflecting upon the weird things I do when I am reading or in my everyday life regarding reading and I thought I would share them with you. Maybe you can comfort me and let me know that I am not the only one who does them.
So, without further ado here are my weird book//reading habits.
- My favourite place to read is sat on a cushion, on the floor with my back pressed against a scorching hot radiator. Obviously I can and do read in other locations but this is where I feel the most relaxed. I love having a cup of tea within reaching distance when I read, any kind – peppermint, green tea, normal tea. Where do you like reading the most?
- Whenever I am out and about and I can see someone reading a book that I love, this weird thing happens to me. I stop what I am doing and just stare at the person for a while; I try my hardest to look normal on the outside but on the inside I am screaming up and down with eagerness. I want to be their friend, I want to go 3up to the person and chat to them about the book and gain their opinion. I know this is super weird but I would love it if someone did it to me, it would be slightly bizarre at first but then I would be like ‘yaaaaasss gurl, I love this book. ITS AMAZING!!’ Please tell me that at least one of you do this and that I haven’t gone completely crazy.
- I absolutely despise it when people bend the top of a page when reading as an indicator for where they got to. I will use ANYTHING and EVERYTHING before resorting to mistreating my book. The other day for instance, I didn’t have any paper in my bag so I quickly used my paracetamol packet instead to keep my page. Bookmarks can be so quirky, colourful and amazing…use them people…use them.
- Once facebook told me on a quiz, that I would meet my true love at a bookstore while reaching for the same book. Obviously facebook is 100% an accurate and reliable source, so I am waiting for the day to happen. Imagine it now…it has been a stressful day and I long for the comfort of a bookstore, I am in desperate need for the latest release and just when I am on the verge of giving up. I spot the last copy out of the corner of my eye, I run to the book in a socially accepting manner and just as my hand are about to clasp the book, a strong muscular arm collides with mine. *romantic instrumental music begins* as our touch creates sparks and we stare longingly into each other’s eyes.
So, number on my list is how I always think how romantic it would be to meet someone as a bookstore. OR, I imagine myself into books where I date the main character.
- Forgetting I have hands when reading and stifling a yawn with a book. I read about someone else doing this the other day and I realized that I also do it. I am so intensely captivated by the book that instead of putting to book down like a normal human to cover my mouth while yawning, I just bring my book to my mouth and yawn.
This post made me sound crazzzy, absolutely bonkers. I have sooo many more weird (yet wonderful) book habits to share with you guys, but I didn’t want to overwhelm you and scare you away. But if you do like this post and want to hear more- please comment below and I a second post will follow.
Also, do you have any quirky things you do while reading?
I am becoming a frequent user of instragam, especially on my book page. I think you should go and check out my page and maybe give me a cheeky follow.
Let me know if you follow me from this blog and I will follow you back!
My Instagram is – Captivated_by_Fantasy …here is a sneaky peak. 📚🤓💫🍂🍁👑📝
Title: Prosecco and Promises
Author Name: A. L. Michael
Previous Books: Cocktails and Dreams
Genre: Women’s Fiction, Romance
Release Date: 12th February 2018
Meet Mia: an unforgettable heroine learning the meaning of life and love on a beautiful Italian island. Perfect for fans of Mhairi McFarlane, Lindsey Kelk and Lucy Vine.
Mia’s dad has always been her idol. Now, she faces losing him and he is insisting that she leave England to visit her mother’s family on the Italian island of Ischia.
Arriving on the island, Mia is embraced by the warm, crazy relatives she hardly knows. Despite her doubts about the trip, it is in Italy that Mia discovers connections to a part of her life that’s been missing, and during the sun-soaked days and steamy nights Mia falls for handsome local Salvatore. But as the day of her departure draws nearer can she risk having her heart broken twice in one summer?
If you love Prosecco and Promises, why not read more about Mia’s best friend Savvy in Cocktails and Dreams? Out now!
Links to Book:
Google Books (UK)
Apple Books (UK)
A.L. Michael is hurtling towards the end of her twenties a little too quickly. She is the author of 10 novels. Her most recent collection of books, The Martini Club Series, started with Cocktails and Dreams, to be followed by Prosecco and Promises, and Martinis and Memories. She likes to write about difficult women. Well, they say to write what you know. Andi works as a Content Writer, as well as a therapeutic facilitator. She has a bunch of degrees in stuff to do with writing, and wrote her MSc dissertation on the power of creative writing in eating disorder recovery. She truly believes stories can change your life.
Author Social Media Links
Facebook: A.L. Michael
Website: A. L. Michael
I’ve been thinking recently what books I use as a comfort blanket and what books have stayed with me since I read them.
- Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
- The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- On the Road by Jack Kerouac
- The Trial by Franz Kafka
- The Great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald
- Harry Potter and the Philospher Stone by J.K.Rowling
- A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- Sophie’s World by Jostein Gaarder
- The Hobbit by J.R.R.Tolkien
What books comfort or stay with you?
I have just finished reading my review copy of Some Kind of Wonderful by Giovanna Fletcher. OMG I LOVVVVVVVEEEEE IT!!!
I am currently reading Turtles All The Way Down by the one and only JOHN GREEN. I have been longing for this book since the moment I finish all of his other books.
What are you currently reading?
One of my obsession and has been for many years now is Harry Potter. In my defence who isn’t obsessed with Harry Potter? 🤔😏 When I was little (I can’t write that anymore without thinking of Louisa Clarke from Me Before You‘) I had Harry Potter everythannngg- bike, cloack, Nimbus 2000, figurines, towels….you name it, I had it. Evidently my Harry Potter transport was on point haha…
But you know, as I got older the merch started going to car boot sales and charity shops.. *Why mum…why???* In hindsight I should have kept it all but I didn’t.
But let’s not let that get us down because recently my sister went to Florida and got me a wand. Harry’s wand in particular…yaaaaaayyy! When I visit I am going to buy another one or two – cough cough- probabally all of them because I have no self control.
Behold – Harry’s wand. Am I the chosen one now because I feel like it?
- Do you love Harry Potter? Is so, why?
- Which house are you in?
- Who’s your favourite character?
Last time I did this post I was reading Louis Pentlands book Wilde Like Me, which I will review soon.
Now I am reading This is Where it Ends by Marieke Nijkamp. I was sent this in ARC form months and months ago but life has been super busy so I borrowed the physical copy and now I’m devouring it.
- The cover for this book gives me life!
- I’ve heard sooo many good things about it.
- I’m nearly half way and I’m hooked.
- The switching of perspectives makes the pace fast, which makes my adenraline pump with anticipation.
Everyone has a reason to fear the boy with the gun.
10:00 a.m. The principal of Opportunity, Alabama’s high school finishes her speech, welcoming the entire student body to a new semester and encouraging them to excel and achieve.
10:02 a.m.The students get up to leave the auditorium for their next class.
10:03.The auditorium doors won’t open.
10:05. Someone starts shooting.Told from four perspectives over the span of 54 harrowing minutes, terror reigns as one student’s calculated revenge turns into the ultimate game of survival.Winter ‘
- Have you read this book?
- Have I intrigued you to read it?
- What did you think?
I WANT TO CELEBRATE YOU WONDERFUL PEOPLE…
A few rules first…
- You have to be following my blog. p.s…I can tell when you comment without following 😉
- Comment below that you want to be entered.
- Open worldwide
I wanted to something aimed at both my book followers and beauty followers.
What you can win…
- £20/$20/€20 to spend at any book retailer e.g Amazon, Waterstones and Book Depository.
- The Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Palette.
- So thats the Modern Renaissance Palette PLUS £/€/$ 20 to spend on books or anything bookish.
- You will have a chance to wins these if you follow my blog and comment below.
- This giveaway will end in a week (or maybe two depending on entries).
Thank you for reading.
I had a really positive response to the first post about my bookish habits…we are all a little weird and I LOVE IT. This is my second post and I love hearing what you reply, so please comment below and lets be weird and wonderful together.
Read part one here –
Here I discussed my impulse to talk to anyone reading a book, stifling a yawn with my book, hating on people who abuse books and my favourite reading location.
- Smelling books. New or Old I will give a book a cheeky little smell. Have you ever walked into a old vintage book shop and thought wow, it smells amazing. I wish they made candles in old book scent because I would burn that for daaayyyyssss. I always think old books smell well loved if that makes any sense at all. P.S. Early season Rory gives me life, she was a complete bookworm.
- Leaving books scattered around the house. I am sooo guilty of this and it irritates my mum so much, she would always say she knew when I was back from university because she would just find books in random places. I need access to books at all times okay, what if something happened and I had to stay in that room…it would be okay because I would have a book with me.
3. Always having a book on me. I won’t leave the house unless I have a book with me. You never know when you will have a spare minute to read. Waiting for someone?-read. Early somewhere?-read. Unhappy?- Read. Bored?- Read. Legit the other day I went to Bath for the day with my best friend and I thought I would be early to the station so I grabbed my trusty version of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone.
4. Going on holiday and packing more books than clothes. THANK YOU KINDLE FOR MAKING MY LIFE EASIER NOW! When I use to visit my dad in Denmark over summer I would take like ten books for a week trip and SMASH them all. He would have to work somedays so I would just read in his apartment or walk to the park and read. I still sometimes take physical copies of books with me but prefer to take my kindle nowadays because it is lighter and easier to carry. Although I prefer reading books over kindle books? what’s your thoughts on this matter?
5. Spending hours on end in libraries and bookshops. Guilty again. I got spend an endless amount of time roaming the shelves in bookshops and libraries. Being surrounded by books fills me with a sense of comfort and belonging and I LOVE IT.
6. Talking about fictional characters as if they are real. I am a nightmare when it comes to this. They are real to me okay, they have touched my heart and now live in there. When I was going to my dissertation meetings my supervisor had to sit me down and advise me to stop writing and discussing the characters as if they were real. So…instead of writing Nick and Amy volitile relationship, I would have to write Flynn constructed the characters of Nick and Amy to give the illusion of a volatile relationship.Blah Blah Blah.
So here are six more reading habits of mine. Do you do the same? What do you think of mine?