I am finally uploading this after it being in my draft box for ages…forgive me. I have previously done Ravenclaw , so if you want to read it – click here.
So, without further ado these are my book recommendation for those Harry Potter fans who think they are in Gryffindor.
The Princess Bride by William Goldman.
The Sun is also a Star by Nicola Yoon
Black Beauty by Anna Sewell.
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens.
Yes Please by Amy Poehler.
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.
All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.
Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor.
I’ve been thinking recently what books I use as a comfort blanket and what books have stayed with me since I read them.
- Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
- The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- On the Road by Jack Kerouac
- The Trial by Franz Kafka
- The Great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald
- Harry Potter and the Philospher Stone by J.K.Rowling
- A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- Sophie’s World by Jostein Gaarder
- The Hobbit by J.R.R.Tolkien
What books comfort or stay with you?
“Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,If you’ve a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind.“
As a lot of you will know, I am a Ravenclaw – Pottermore confirmed it and I feel it in my heart.
With these traits in mind, I thought I would recommend some books for fellow Ravenclaws.
- Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.
- Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
- The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
- Atonement by Ian McEwan
- Emma by Jane Austen
- Matilda by Roald Dahl
- So, what did you think of this post and my picks?
- Would you like it if I did the other houses?
- Shall I do a part two of this?
One of my obsession and has been for many years now is Harry Potter. In my defence who isn’t obsessed with Harry Potter? 🤔😏 When I was little (I can’t write that anymore without thinking of Louisa Clarke from Me Before You‘) I had Harry Potter everythannngg- bike, cloack, Nimbus 2000, figurines, towels….you name it, I had it. Evidently my Harry Potter transport was on point haha…
But you know, as I got older the merch started going to car boot sales and charity shops.. *Why mum…why???* In hindsight I should have kept it all but I didn’t.
But let’s not let that get us down because recently my sister went to Florida and got me a wand. Harry’s wand in particular…yaaaaaayyy! When I visit I am going to buy another one or two – cough cough- probabally all of them because I have no self control.
Behold – Harry’s wand. Am I the chosen one now because I feel like it?
- Do you love Harry Potter? Is so, why?
- Which house are you in?
- Who’s your favourite character?
I had a really positive response to the first post about my bookish habits…we are all a little weird and I LOVE IT. This is my second post and I love hearing what you reply, so please comment below and lets be weird and wonderful together.
Read part one here –
Here I discussed my impulse to talk to anyone reading a book, stifling a yawn with my book, hating on people who abuse books and my favourite reading location.
- Smelling books. New or Old I will give a book a cheeky little smell. Have you ever walked into a old vintage book shop and thought wow, it smells amazing. I wish they made candles in old book scent because I would burn that for daaayyyyssss. I always think old books smell well loved if that makes any sense at all. P.S. Early season Rory gives me life, she was a complete bookworm.
- Leaving books scattered around the house. I am sooo guilty of this and it irritates my mum so much, she would always say she knew when I was back from university because she would just find books in random places. I need access to books at all times okay, what if something happened and I had to stay in that room…it would be okay because I would have a book with me.
3. Always having a book on me. I won’t leave the house unless I have a book with me. You never know when you will have a spare minute to read. Waiting for someone?-read. Early somewhere?-read. Unhappy?- Read. Bored?- Read. Legit the other day I went to Bath for the day with my best friend and I thought I would be early to the station so I grabbed my trusty version of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone.
4. Going on holiday and packing more books than clothes. THANK YOU KINDLE FOR MAKING MY LIFE EASIER NOW! When I use to visit my dad in Denmark over summer I would take like ten books for a week trip and SMASH them all. He would have to work somedays so I would just read in his apartment or walk to the park and read. I still sometimes take physical copies of books with me but prefer to take my kindle nowadays because it is lighter and easier to carry. Although I prefer reading books over kindle books? what’s your thoughts on this matter?
5. Spending hours on end in libraries and bookshops. Guilty again. I got spend an endless amount of time roaming the shelves in bookshops and libraries. Being surrounded by books fills me with a sense of comfort and belonging and I LOVE IT.
6. Talking about fictional characters as if they are real. I am a nightmare when it comes to this. They are real to me okay, they have touched my heart and now live in there. When I was going to my dissertation meetings my supervisor had to sit me down and advise me to stop writing and discussing the characters as if they were real. So…instead of writing Nick and Amy volitile relationship, I would have to write Flynn constructed the characters of Nick and Amy to give the illusion of a volatile relationship.Blah Blah Blah.
So here are six more reading habits of mine. Do you do the same? What do you think of mine?
Recently I have been reflecting upon the weird things I do when I am reading or in my everyday life regarding reading and I thought I would share them with you. Maybe you can comfort me and let me know that I am not the only one who does them.
So, without further ado here are my weird book//reading habits.
- My favourite place to read is sat on a cushion, on the floor with my back pressed against a scorching hot radiator. Obviously I can and do read in other locations but this is where I feel the most relaxed. I love having a cup of tea within reaching distance when I read, any kind – peppermint, green tea, normal tea. Where do you like reading the most?
- Whenever I am out and about and I can see someone reading a book that I love, this weird thing happens to me. I stop what I am doing and just stare at the person for a while; I try my hardest to look normal on the outside but on the inside I am screaming up and down with eagerness. I want to be their friend, I want to go 3up to the person and chat to them about the book and gain their opinion. I know this is super weird but I would love it if someone did it to me, it would be slightly bizarre at first but then I would be like ‘yaaaaasss gurl, I love this book. ITS AMAZING!!’ Please tell me that at least one of you do this and that I haven’t gone completely crazy.
- I absolutely despise it when people bend the top of a page when reading as an indicator for where they got to. I will use ANYTHING and EVERYTHING before resorting to mistreating my book. The other day for instance, I didn’t have any paper in my bag so I quickly used my paracetamol packet instead to keep my page. Bookmarks can be so quirky, colourful and amazing…use them people…use them.
- Once facebook told me on a quiz, that I would meet my true love at a bookstore while reaching for the same book. Obviously facebook is 100% an accurate and reliable source, so I am waiting for the day to happen. Imagine it now…it has been a stressful day and I long for the comfort of a bookstore, I am in desperate need for the latest release and just when I am on the verge of giving up. I spot the last copy out of the corner of my eye, I run to the book in a socially accepting manner and just as my hand are about to clasp the book, a strong muscular arm collides with mine. *romantic instrumental music begins* as our touch creates sparks and we stare longingly into each other’s eyes.
So, number on my list is how I always think how romantic it would be to meet someone as a bookstore. OR, I imagine myself into books where I date the main character.
- Forgetting I have hands when reading and stifling a yawn with a book. I read about someone else doing this the other day and I realized that I also do it. I am so intensely captivated by the book that instead of putting to book down like a normal human to cover my mouth while yawning, I just bring my book to my mouth and yawn.
This post made me sound crazzzy, absolutely bonkers. I have sooo many more weird (yet wonderful) book habits to share with you guys, but I didn’t want to overwhelm you and scare you away. But if you do like this post and want to hear more- please comment below and I a second post will follow.
Also, do you have any quirky things you do while reading?
JULY 24th to JULY 3Oth.
I have seen this popping up all over Youtube on the booksphere. I LOVE BOOKTUBE! Who else loves book tube?
If you’ve been following my blog for a while you will know that I have always wanted to start a youtube channel for books but I haven’t yet (I am scared okay?) So…I have decided to do the challenge on my blog instead.
Reading Challenge #1 – Read a book with a person on the cover.
I posted about this book last week and I am still eager to read it…so now it is on this challenge and HAS to be read now.
Reading Challenge #2 – Read a hyped book.
I have been meaning to read this book for AGES. I was soo exciting for the release of this book and I pre-ordered it BUT I still haven’t read it.
Reading Challenge #3 – Read a book in one day.
I love this collection of poetry and prose. LOVE LOVE LOVE. I read this a few months ago and I want to revisit it because I keep thinking about it.
Reading Challenge #4 –Read about a character that is different from you.
This is an emotional story about a tragic event. ‘A soul-shattering novel that will leave your emotions raw. This story will haunt me forever. Everyone should read it’ Guardian. A lovely follower also recommended this book so I cannot wait to devour it.
Reading Challenge #5- Finish a book completely outside.
I was sent this from Canongate to review and I cannot wait to read it. I will definitely read this in the sunshine.
Reading Challenge #6 – Read a book you bought because of the cover.
I feel like I am cheating here but I don’t mind because I get to read the first Harry Potter again. Yaaaaassss. Any excuse to read this wonderful story again and I will take it. I did technically buy this just because of the cover (and for my obsessive nature of the series).
Reading Challenge #7 – Read seven books.
Do you want to join in? Are you planning on doing the challenge already? If so comment below or tag me in your posts because I am super eager to see what you plan on reading!